After three preliminary parts of the Szansa na Sukces (A chance for success) talent show, we will see the final of the Polish national selection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 on Sunday, 23rd of February. One out of three finalists will represent Poland in Rotterdam in May.
The final of the Szansa na sukces (SnS) show starts on Sunday, 23rd of February, at 3:15 p.m. (15:15 Warsaw time). You can watch the show on TVP 2, TVP VOD and TVP Stream. The host of the final will be Artur Orzech who is also a Polish commentary during the Eurovision events.
The finalists of the Szansa na sukces 2020
The jury of the show consisting of Cleo (Eurovision 2014 with Donatan), Michał Szpak (Eurovision 2016) and Gromee (Eurovision 2019 with Lukas Meijer) chose the following three finalists. They all are the winners of the preliminary rounds:
- Kasia Dereń, the winner of the 1st part of the SnS (she sang ABBA Mamma Mia);
- Alicja Szemplińska, the winner of the 2nd part of the SnS (she sang Edyta Górniak To nie ja!);
- Albert Černý, the winner of the 3rd part of the SnS (he sang The Beatles Please Please Me).
How will we choose the winner
The finalists will perform two songs. One of them will be a Eurovision hit and the other one will be an original song written for the Eurovision Song Contest. The winner will be chosen by both jury and public voting. In case of a tie, the winner will be decided based on the higher position in the televoting rank.
The finalists and their songs
- Kasia Dereń is a semifinalist of the second edition of the talent show The Voice of Poland. She is also recognized as a supporting vocal of many artists. Last year she sang together with Gromee and Lukas Meijer on the Eurovision stage in Tel Aviv.
She will sing a song Ufaj mi (Trust me), co-written also by Piotr Walicki, Marcin Januszkiewicz and Mateusz Krautwurst:
- Alicja Szemplińska is the winner of the 10th edition of The Voice of Poland. Her Eurovision song has not been published yet and will be updated here as soon as we know it. The song was written by Patryk Kumór, Dominic Buczkowski–Wojtaszek (co-authors of the Viki Gabor Superhero) and Laurell Barker who co-wrote some songs from the Eurovision 2019 (Luca Hänni She Got Me, S!sters Sister and Michael Rice Bigger than Us).
Temporarily check out the last Alicja’s song recorded in November 2019:
- Albert Černý is a member of the band Lake Malawi that represented the Czech Republic on the Eurovision Song Contest 2019. Their song Friend of a Friend finished 11th.
On Sunday he will sing a Lake Malawi’s song Lucy, co-written also by Cesár Sampson (Eurovision 2018), JOWST (Eurovision 2017), Lasse Piirainen (Eurovision 2017 as a part of Norma John) and Alasdair Bouch:
What is the Szansa na Sukces?
Szansa na sukces is popular in Poland talent show, held from 1993 until 2012 and back since 2019 in a special Eurovision format. It has promoted some huge stars in Poland, including:
- Justyna Steczkowska (Eurovision 1995);
- Małgorzata Jamroży, known as Margaret (Polish selection for Eurovision 2016, Swedish selection Melodifestivalen 2018 and 2019);
- Kasia Cerekwicka (Polish selection for Eurovision 2006);
- Anna Wyszkoni (Polish selection for Eurovision 2004 with the band Łzy).
Participants of the Szansa na Sukces perform songs from the discography of an invited music star or those referring to a leading motive. Winners from each episode compete in the final of the season.
Last year Szansa na ukces was used for the first time to reveal the Polish representative for the Junior Eurovision Song Contest that was held in Gliwice, Poland. The winner of the show, Viki Gabor, won also the Junior Eurovision with the song Superhero. It was the second consecutive victory of Poland in the contest.
This year the Polish television TVP decided to use the same format of the Szansa na Sukces to select a representative for the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 in Rotterdam.
Poland on Eurovision
Poland has participated in the Eurovision Song Contest since 1994. Polish first representative, Edyta Górniak, debuted second with To nie ja!, which is the country’s best result to date. Poland has finished in the top 10 more two times: in 2003 (Ich Troje Keine Grenzen – Żadnych Granic, 7th place) and 2016 (Michał Szpak Color of your life, 8th position).
Source: TVP, eurovision.tv, fot.: instagram